Giesecke & Devrient Licenses Leighton Technologies’ "Contactless Cards” Patents
Suffern, N.Y. – May 8, 2012 − General Patent Corporation (GPC), a leading patent licensing and enforcement firm, settled a patent infringement lawsuit filed on behalf of its subsidiary, Leighton Technologies LLC (Leighton), with Giesecke & Devrient America, Inc. of Dulles, Virginia. Leighton Technologies LLC v. Giesecke & Devrient America, Inc. (1:2011cv04803) was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in July 2011.
As a result of the settlement, Giesecke & Devrient has licensed Leighton Technologies’ portfolio of six “Contactless Cards” and related patents. The Leighton patent portfolio covers a hot lamination process for the manufacture of contact and contactless smart cards and RFID cards.
“We are pleased to resolve this dispute amicably,” said Anthony Amaral, Chief IP Counsel of General Patent Corporation.
About Leighton Technologies LLC
Leighton Technologies LLC is the owner of six “Contactless Cards” and related U.S. Patents:
- 5,817,207: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
- 6,036,099: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card and product resulting therefrom”
- 6,214,155: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
- 6,441,736: “Ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices and hot or cold lamination process for the manufacture of ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices”
- 6,557,766: “Hot lamination method for a hybrid radio frequency optical memory card converting sheets into a web process”
- 6,514,367: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card”
Leighton Technologies is a portfolio company of IP Holdings LLC, and is managed by General Patent Corporation. A non-exclusive license under these patents is available on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms. For licensing terms, please contact Kathlene Ingham at (845) 368-4000 x107. The litigation filed by Leighton Technologies LLC, and the settlements and licensees it has secured for its patent portfolio, are detailed at www.leighton-tech.com.
About IP Holdings LLC
IP Holdings LLC, a member of the GPC Group of Companies, is an IP-centric merchant banking organization. IP Holdings provides IP advisory services, IP-related financial services, IP brokerage and intellectual property M&A, and operates an idea incubator. IP Holdings is a member of Leighton Technologies. For more information, visit www.ip-holdings.com.